Pages

Monday 22 March 2010

Becoming a Dad (a blogging excuse)

We'll it's been a long while, I've not had much chance to update any of my home work since my 1st post back in 2008. A lot has happened since then. I'm now a proud father, and it's only now that I'm getting time to think about writing on this blog. It's great being a Dad. Something I always thought was for other men. I wasn't really interested in becoming a father. Just working and becoming good at what I do. While I don't have to much time to learn at home now. I have been given that opportunity at work. Something that I'm very pleased and fortunate to be able to say.

Two years ago I was just learning to MEL script in Maya. I bought a DVD and decided that I could do it. Work noticed that I showed promise in this area and that I could rig. I was previously on a Environment team as a generalist, modeling game levels and lighting with our in house tools. I loved that side of my work. Before joining Eurocom I was a character animator at Digi-Guys in pinewood studios. So I've done a little of everything so far. The pull to scripting was a weird one for me. Other artist had done it. And I would often say in jest "by the time you've written that I could have done t already".

I didn't understand that writing code is an artistic process. That's a wider debate, but I do feel a lot of the same artistic decision's I would make before; I still make now when coding in python.

So I've been writing tools for Maya in MEL and python. Solving rigging issues for the rigging department and writing supporting tools for the art-pipelines. Four year ago I would have never thought that I could program in MEL. Let alone become a proper programmer with pythons object orientated design. I've learned PyQt and written large asset management UI's and become a Maya beta tester.

Hopefully this will be the 1st of many posts about 3d, life, art and python, I'm not counting my 1st post back in 2008.